Everything You Need to Know About Dental Implants
Dental or tooth implants provide a long-term solution to teeth replacement necessitated by progressing tooth decay or damage. Ideally, implants are artificial teeth placed into the jawbone to facilitate proper chewing. Implants can also be used to support dentures and crowns. If you are among the increasing population of people who prefer implants, below are a few things you should know.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
The two main benefits of dental implants are improved confidence and comfort and proper chewing of food. Implants are an excellent alternative to dentures because they last longer and don’t cause much discomfort. You should discuss with your dentist to understand more benefits of dentures over other alternatives.
Who are the ideal candidates for dental implants?
Unfortunately, not everybody can qualify for implant surgery. While they are a good option for those who’ve lost their teeth due to periodontal diseases and injuries, the patient should:
- Have stellar oral hygiene
- Have adequate bone density to anchor the implant
- Shouldn’t have periodontal disease
- Have a normal and healthy gum tissue
How to prevent complications after dental implant surgery
While dental implants are becoming a common procedure, complications can develop, especially during recovery. Below are some tips to prevent complications as you recover from dental implant surgery:
- Brush and floss your teeth twice daily using a soft-bristle brush
- Avoid tobacco products – smoking is detrimental to your general health and significantly impedes healing. Tobacco use during recovery can also introduce infections.
- Adhere to dental appointments – you should visit your dentist every six months for close monitoring.
- Maintain a healthy diet – avoid sugary foods and fizzy drinks.
Dental implants vs. bridges: How do they differ?
Most people confuse dental implants and bridges or use these terms interchangeably. However, dental implants and bridges are two different dental procedures. Dental bridges are artificial teeth placed between two crowns, with the crowns fixed to natural teeth on both sides.
On the other hand, dental implants are artificial teeth attached to an abutment or a metal-like screw fixed to the jaw. Implants are permanent or removable, depending on personal requirements. However, implants and bridges are designed to mirror natural teeth.
Dental implants undoubtedly benefit patients who are missing one or several teeth. Shemen Dental Group in Amarillo, TX, offers a wide range of dental services, including implants for those who want to restore their smiles.