When a patient is missing a single tooth or small set of teeth from the same area of the mouth, a dental bridge can fill in the gap to restore the strength, function, and beauty
of the smile. At Shemen Dental Group LLP, we can secure a dental bridge with dental crowns or dental implants. Dental implants fuse with the jawbone to provide superior support to dental bridges and other dental restorations.
Whether patients receive a traditional bridge or an implant-supported bridge, they should be prepared for the brief recovery period that will follow the placement of the
dental restoration. Our dental team will discuss dental bridge recovery and aftercare with our Amarillo, TX patients so that they have as smooth a recovery period as possible.
Dental Bridge Side Effects
Dental bridge treatment has a high rate of success and a low rate of complications. However, it is normal for our Amarillo patients to develop some minor side effects after a dental bridge has been placed. The most common side effects of dental bridge treatment include:
- Tenderness or mild swelling around the treatment site
- Discomfort as the patient adjusts to the dental bridge
- Heightened tooth sensitivity
It is important to note that dental implant treatment is more invasive than traditional dental bridge treatment. It will result in more noticeable side effects, which may include bleeding, inflammation, and discomfort. However, the gums will heal and these side effect will resolve before a dental bridge is attached to the dental implants.
How Long Is Dental Bridge Recovery?
Fortunately, dental bridge recovery does not take long. None of the typical dental bridge side effects are severe, so patients should be able to resume all their usual activities immediately after treatment. While it may take several weeks for a patient to completely adjust to how the dental bridge feels, other side effects typically resolve on their own within just a few short days.
Helpful Aftercare Tips
Our dentists will provide explicit aftercare instructions to all of our Amarillo dental bridge patients. By following these instructions, patients can enjoy a smooth recovery, as well as the long-term success of dental bridge treatment.
Some aftercare tips are especially helpful for our dental bridge patients, such as:
- In the days after treatment, avoid hard, crunchy foods and any other foods that increase discomfort
- Stay away from foods or beverages that are extremely hot or cold to minimize sensitivity
- If heightened sensitivity is an issue, use a toothpaste formulated for sensitive teeth
- Continue to brush at least twice a day, and floss daily
- Choose a toothbrush with soft bristles
- If side effects persist, or if any unusual side effects develop, report it to one of our dentists as soon as possible
- To promote good oral health, continue to schedule biannual dental exams and cleanings
If you have questions about the dental bridge treatment process or the recovery period that follows, the experienced dentists at Shemen Dental Group LLP will be happy to provide you with answers. To learn more, contact us at your earliest convenience or call (806) 358-2472 to schedule an appointment.